Saturday, June 6, 2009

Wold Newton

I remember as a boy reading a fair few pastiches, and amongst them the Phillip Jose Farmer works. His excellent books have spawned an entire online cottage industry of pseudohistorical research, creating family trees and connections between different (originally public domain or select) works, to show that a single extended family of heroes are responsible for Sherlock Holmes, Doc Savage, The Shadow, and on and on and on.

I used to adore this kind of thing, but the implicit proprietary behaviour of the Wold Newton workers, akin to that of Alan Moore, has put me off a bit. However, it was always my intention to do family trees and speciation charts for the Mongovians, and I think I'll also fit Flash Gordon, Dale Arden and Zarkov into their familial contexts too.